Applying and auditioning
The Barenboim-Said Akademie has a two-step admissions process: applying and auditioning. The application period for enrollment opens each autumn for matriculation into the following academic year (Winter Semester). Applications for the 2022/23 academic year at the Barenboim-Said Akademie will open November 2021.
Complete overview of the application timeline.
Applications for the Academic Year 2022-23 are open from November 1, 2021 – January 06, 2022.
For the 2022-23 Academic Year, the Barenboim-Said Akademie is accepting applications for the Bachelor of Music, and Preparatory Program in the following studios: bassoon, cello, clarinet, composition, flute, horn, oboe, piano, percussion, trumpet, trombone, viola and violin.
Additionally, the Barenboim-Said Akademie will be accepting applications for the Artist Diploma Program for the 2022-23 Academic Year in the following studios: cello, viola, violin, piano and composition.
Lastly, the Barenboim-Said Akademie will not be opening applications for the double bass studio.
Applications for the 2023-24 Academic Year will open in the Fall 2022.
Applications for all programs and instruments are submitted via SlideRoom. You must register for a SlideRoom account in order to start an application. Following the registration process, you may sign in any time to continue work. There are no application fees.
Required Information and Documents:
- Personal Information: Full name, contact details, citizenship(s), address and emergency contact information.
- Addresses and dates of study at high school and previous university (if applicable)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL Essentials, TOEFL iBT, TOEFL ITP, Academic IETLS, Cambridge Certificate or Linguaskill General). If you cannot provide the certificate before the application deadline, you will be required to take an English Language test.
- Responses to short essay questions
- PDF scans of your most recent academic transcripts and certificates. Transcripts and certificates not in English or German must be submitted in the original language alongside an official, certified German or English translation.
- Copy of passport
- Biometric photo (51 x 51 mm (2 x 2 inches))
- Screening Materials
- Letter of Recommendation
Please bear in mind that the requirements may differ per program. Make sure to check the requirements, as specified in our SlideRoom application portal.
Visit the Resources page to find documentation that will help you with your application and pre-screening materials.
Following the review of the application and pre-screening materials, selected applicants are invited to interview and audition for our faculty in Berlin. Applicants should be aware that auditions may be recorded for panel review purposes only. Invited candidates will receive the audition dates with the invitation and will not be published in advance. Thank you for your understanding.
Invited applicants will audition for the instrumental jury, have an interview and take a Music Theory and Ear Training test. Additionally, candidates who have not provided proof of English skills are required to take an English Language Test.
Applicants from outside of Germany who have been invited to audition will have the opportunity to apply for a travel bursary. The Barenboim-Said Akademie Admissions team can also assist the applicant in applying for any necessary travel visas.
Visit the Audition & Pre-Screening Repertoire page.