Applying and auditioning
The Barenboim-Said Akademie has a two-step admissions process: applying and auditioning. The application period for enrollment opens each autumn for matriculation into the following academic year (Winter Semester). Applications for the 2020-21 Academic year will be accepted from November 1, 2019, to January 17, 2020.
Complete overview of the application timeline.
Applications for the Academic Year 2020-21 are open from November 1, 2019 – January 17, 2020. The Barenboim-Said Akademie is accepting applications for the Bachelor of Music and Preparatory Program in the following studios: bassoon, cello, clarinet, composition, double-bass, flute, horn, oboe, piano, trombone, trumpet, viola and violin.
The Barenboim-Said Akademie will not be accepting applications for the Artist Diploma Program for the 2020-21 Academic Year. Additionally, we will not be opening applications for the Percussion, Harp, and Tuba studios.
Applications for the 2021-22 Academic Year will open Fall 2020.
Applications for all programs and instruments are submitted via SlideRoom. You must register for a SlideRoom account in order to start an application. Following the registration process, you may sign in any time to continue work. There are no application fees.
Required Information and Documents:
- Personal Information: Full name, contact details, citizenship(s), address and emergency contact information.
- Addresses and dates of study at high school and previous university (if applicable)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL, IETLS or Cambridge Certificate). If you cannot provide the certificate before the application deadline, you will be required to take an English Language test administered by the British Council in Berlin around the dates of your audition.
- Responses to short essay questions
- PDF copies of your most recent academic transcripts and certificates. Transcripts and certificates not in English or German must be submitted in the original language alongside an official, certified German or English translation.
- Copy of passport
- Biometric photo (51 x 51 mm (2 x 2 inches))
- Screening Materials
- Letter of Recommendation
Please bear in mind that the requirements may differ per program. Make sure to check the requirements, as specified in our SlideRoom application portal.
Visit the Resources page to find documentation that will help you with your application and pre-screening materials.
Following the review of the application and pre-screening materials, selected applicants are invited to interview and audition for our faculty in Berlin. Applicants should be aware that auditions may be recorded for panel review purposes only. Invited candidates will receive the audition dates with the invitation and will not be published in advance. Thank you for your understanding.
Invited applicants will audition for the instrumental jury, have an interview and take a Music Theory and Ear Training test. Additionally, candidates who have not provided proof of English skills are required to take an English Language Test. This will take place one day before or after your audition date.
Applicants from outside of Germany who have been invited to audition will have the opportunity to apply for a travel bursary. The Barenboim-Said Akademie Admissions team can also assist the applicant in applying for any necessary travel visas.
Visit the Audition & Pre-Screening Repertoire page.