COVID-19 Response at the Barenboim-Said Akademie
The Barenboim-Said Akademie is committed to the health and safety of its entire community. This page has the latest information about the measures against the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and how it affects the academic activity, as well as the public events at the Akademie and Pierre Boulez Saal. We hope that by following the social distancing policies that are being enforced around the world, we will do our part to limit the spread of the COVID-19.
Latest Update: 30 July, 2020
The health and safety of students, faculty, staff, and visitors is our main priority. In line with the official measures put in place by the City of Berlin to combat the Coronavirus, the Barenboim-Said Akademie is implementing the following measures effective immediately:
The Building & Public Events
All protective and hygiene measures are being coordinated with the authorities and may be adapted or changed at any time. To protect audiences, artists, and employees, the following rules are in effect:
- All visitors must cover their nose and mouth with a mask, scarf, or other face covering at all times while in the building.
- The covering may be removed only while seated during the concert.
- The number of seats is limited. Seats are available primarily in pairs, with a minimum distance of 1.5 meters (6 feet) between groups of seats.
- Distancing rules will also be enforced through signs and floor markings.
- Concerts will be performed without intermission.
- Doors open 45 minutes prior to the event.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers are available throughout the building.
- Contact surfaces will be cleaned at regular intervals.
- To avoid large gatherings, the coat check and catering facilities are closed.
- Use of the elevator is limited to one person and one operator at a time.
- Tickets may only be purchased online and by phone. The box office is closed.
Ticket buyers are required to provide their contact details. Tickets will be personalized, and valid picture ID must be presented at the door. Buyers of multiple tickets must be able to provide contact details for all visitors using those tickets.
Please be aware that attending a concert, just like any other large gathering, carries an increased risk of infection. This applies particularly to those unable to wear a face covering due to a chronic respiratory disease.
If you have been in personal contact with anyone infected with the coronavirus within the past 14 days, you will no be permitted to attend the event.
Please visit the website of the Pierre Boulez Saal for more information.
- The beginning of the Summer Semester is currently scheduled for April 20, 2020.
- The Barenboim-Said Akademie will be switching to online instruction for the start of the semester, following the call to Berlin's universities and academies to move to online teaching formats.
- We are currently reviewing study plans for the semester to start on that date and working on ways in which students can fulfill all curricular requirements even in the absence of direct physical interaction.
- The reception will be manned as usual to allow access only to students, faculty, and staff. For now, students are allowed to come to the Akademie for individual practice only.
Contact the Registrar and Student’s Office
- Students can contact our Registrar and Student’s Office as usual per email, but in-person office hours are important for us.
- Akademie students can now sign up for our virtual office hours with our staff through the following link: https://go.oncehub.com/officehoursBSA.
- The meeting will take place in Zoom. There is no need for students to sign up for an account. We look forward to staying in touch!
- Given the recently enacted travel restrictions and social distancing policies, and the general closure until further notice of all German schools and universities for any events requiring a physical presence, we have no other option but to cancel live auditions in Berlin. Like all other curricular activities, entrance examinations for the 2020-21 Academic Year will be held in an online format.
- All those due to have an audition or
interview in April/May/June 2020 at the Barenboim-Said Akademie have been
contacted by the Admissions Office.
- We ask all pre-selected candidates to please make sure to check their emails regularly and add the "[email protected]" email to their contacts, to make sure our emails do not end up in your spam folder.
- The application status of our prospective students will not be impacted negatively by the current situation. All admissions decisions will be issued in June-July 2020 as originally planned.
It is very important that all members of the community check their emails regularly for updates. As we continue to monitor this evolving situation, we are closely following the guidelines outlined by the city of Berlin (Coronavirus Hotline (030) 9028-2828). This page will also be updated as the situation develops.