Housing and Residency


The Barenboim-Said Akademie provides a limited number of externally owned and managed student housing facilities to Bachelor of Music and Preparatory Program students. Student housing is located in the Mitte district of Berlin, in close proximity to the Barenboim-Said Akademie’s campus.

Student housing facilities are shared apartments, with two students assigned to one apartment. Apartments consist of two bedrooms, a living area, bathroom and kitchen, and are provided fully furnished (including kitchen appliances).

Eligibility for Student Housing

All Bachelor of Music and Preparatory Program students are eligible for shared student housing. Housing is guaranteed to Bachelor of Music and Preparatory Program students for their first year of enrollment. Artist Diploma students are not eligible for shared student housing and are expected to find their own accommodations in Berlin for the duration of their studies.

Bachelor of Music and Preparatory Program students who wish to reside in private housing must inform the Akademie prior to enrollment. All Bachelor of Music and Preparatory Program students who choose to reside in private housing rather than student housing receive an additional 200€ stipend per month. 

Private Housing

Artist Diploma students and students who do not wish to live in student housing should begin their search as early as possible.

Berlin has become a very popular city, and affordable housing is increasingly difficult to find. A useful portal for searching for a room in a shared apartment (Wohngemeinschaft) in Berlin is WG-Gesucht.

Here is a helpful guide about searching for housing in Berlin. 

City Registration (Anmeldung)

Students moving to Berlin for the first time or moving to a new address in Berlin are required by German law to officially register their current address with the City of Berlin. This can be done without an appointment at one of the many town halls (Bürgeramter) in the city. Students must do so within 14 days of moving into their apartment or after a change of address. Information about appointments and registering with the city can be found (in German) here.

German Residency Permit (Aufenthaltstitel)

If you are not a citizen of a European Union member country, you are required to apply for a residency permit to live in Germany. A visa is what permits you to enter Germany, and a residency permit is what allows you to stay. The Akademie will assist you in applying for your residency permit.

Quiet Hours and Noise Disruption

Students are required to respect city-wide quiet hours. Likewise, students are expected to respect the requests of their flat-mates and neighbors regarding noise levels. Legal quiet hours in Berlin are as follows:

  •   Monday through Saturday; 22:00 – 06:00 
  •   Sunday; 00:00 – 24:00